Skiing the resorts at Lake Tahoe is a fantastic experience for all ski lovers. Lake Tahoe is situated on the California/Nevada border and is one of the world’s leading skiing destinations. The resorts around Lake Tahoe are famous all over the world. They provide lots of lodging and dining options. There are hotels, inns, condos, cottages, rental homes and private homes that you can choose from. You are provided with top quality services and all kinds of essential amenities. The place also boasts some famous restaurants, pubs, bars, cafeterias and nightclubs. There are also shops, boutiques and antique galleries with innovative and attractive shopping items.
The resorts are well connected by plane, car and bus services. You can hire a cab or can take a shuttle car to get where you want to go. More or less all the resorts at Lake Tahoe have package tours for skiing where they will provide you with breakfast and lunch, lift tickets, rental equipment and accommodations. Some of the most popular resorts around Lake Tahoe that draw thousands of ski crazy people from around the world are:
- Squaw valley: This place is famous for winter sports. In 1960 the winter Olympic Games were held here. The top elevation of this resort is 9,050 ft and the bottom elevation is 6,200 ft. The ski able area is about 400 acres with snow making capacity on about 10% of that area. Percent of green, blue and black runs are 25%, 45% and 30% respectively. Skiing activities that draws the biggest traffic at Squaw Valley are alpine skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing. This is the only place in Lake Tahoe where night skiing is offered.
- Homewood Mountain Resort: It is a beautiful resort covered with forests. This resort offers lots of ski activities and other winter sports along with comfortable lodgings and great dining. The maximum and minimum elevations of this area are 7,880 ft and 6,230 ft respectively. Snow making is possible on 10% of the total area of 1,260 acres. Green, blue and black runs are 15%, 50% and 35% respectively. Alpine skiing and snowboarding are the most popular skiing activities you can indulge in at this resort.
- Heavenly Valley Ski Resort: This resort is famous for its picturesque scenery. The place receives a huge amount of snow and has one of the largest snow making systems in North America able to produce artificial snow on 69% of its 4,800 acre ski area. The maximum and minimum elevations of Heavenly Valley are 10,040 ft and 6,540 ft respectively. Percent of green, blue and black runs are 20%, 45% and 30% respectively. Alpine skiing, snowboarding and snowshoeing are the activities enjoyed the most at Heavenly Valley.
- Diamond Peak: A good and serene location for skiing. The place is quiet and calm, ideal for those looking to avoid the mega resorts that dot the Lake Tahoe basin. The top and base elevations of this resort are 8,540 ft and 6,700 ft respectively. Snowmaking is possible on as much as 75% of it 655 acres. Percent of green, blue and black runs are 18%, 46% and 36% respectively.
- Northstar at Tahoe: This resort is a perfect place for a family ski-vacation. You can enjoy lots of winter activities including skiing and other exciting winter sports here. Sports like snowboarding, snow tubing and snow shoeing. The maximum and minimum elevation at Northstar is 8,610 ft and 6,330 ft respectively. There is snowmaking on 50% of the ski able area at this resort of 2,420 acres. Percent of green, blue and black runs are 25%, 50% and 25% respectively.
- Alpine Meadows: The resort is located on the North-west side of Lake Tahoe. The top elevation of this resort is 8,637 ft and the base elevation is 6,835 ft. Snowmaking is minimal with it occurring on only 7% of the total area. Since there is so much natural snow there is no need for snowmaking. Percentage of green runs is 25%, percentage of blue runs is 40%, and percentage of black runs is 35%. The skiing season ranges from October to May and offers a number of packages for any group size and type.
- Kirkwood: Has the highest base elevation at 7,800 ft. The top elevation however is 9,800 ft. Snowmaking is only possible on 2% of the ski able terrain of 2,300 acres. Green runs account for 15% of the terrain, blue runs 50% and black runs 20%.
All the resorts at Lake Tahoe have their own specialty. They are different and beautiful in their own way. Spending your ski vacation at Lake Tahoe will truly be a great experience. Pack your bags and come right away to Lake Tahoe to get the taste of adventure and beauty together.